Grilled Flank Steak
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from 4 or 5 ears of corn) or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces) flank steak
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, trimmed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- Place a dry, large cast iron or heavy nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook, stirring often, until the corn begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the stock, lime juice, bell pepper and 1 cup of the roasted corn. Pulse to puree. Add the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper and the cilantro. Pulse to blend. Set the vinaigrette aside.
- Preheat gas grill. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Rub on both sides of the steak. Place the steak on the grill rack, turning once, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Cut into the center to check for doneness (medium doneness is 160 F if using a meat thermometer). Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut across the grain into thin slices. Cut the slices into pieces 2 inches long.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, onion, black beans and remaining roasted corn. Add the vinaigrette and toss gently to mix well and coat evenly.
- To serve, divide the salad among individual plates. Top each serving with slices of grilled steak.
- Serving size: 1
- Calories 309
- Total Fat 11g
- Monounsaturated Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 28mg
- Sodium 490mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38g
- Dietary Fiber 10g
- Protein 20g