It’s harvest time in Northern New England. Apples, tomatoes, squash, green beans, corn, peppers, and potatoes are filling baskets and buckets to the brim. Freezing, canning, and pickling are happening in kitchens across Northern New England. As summer winds down and autumn beckons, we begin to think about all the comfort food that awaits us throughout the fall and winter.
Food is a necessity for all of us. For many families, however, there is little comfort in food because they simply don’t have enough. They are hungry. Every day. We invite you to join us in the fight against hunger.
We are experts at delivering warmth and comfort inside your home. So it’s easy to see why delivering food assistance to warm you on the inside would be one of Dead River Company’s ways of giving back to the community. We provide support to local food banks and pantries across our Northern New England service area. And with good reason:
- In Maine, nearly 200,000 people, including 1 in every 4 children do not have enough food on a daily basis.
- In New Hampshire, more than 42,000 children under the age of 18 are food insecure.
- In Vermont, approximately 153,000 people turn to food pantries or programs to feed their families, including 33,900 children.
- In Franklin County Massachusetts, 1 in 5 children live in food insecure households.
These are difficult statistics to read. But, you can help by visiting Dead River Company’s Facebook page.
September is Hunger Action Month, and now through September 20th, Dead River Company will donate $5, up to $15,000, for every new person who “likes” our Facebook page and for every “Back to School” photo you share.
- “Like” us on Facebook – we donate $5*
- Submit a photo that represents “Back to School” – we donate $5*
- Do both – we donate $10*
It’s that easy.
According to Feeding America, the nation’s leading domestic hunger relief agency, each dollar donated to fight hunger equals ten meals. Think of it: $1 = 10 meals. $15,000 = 150,000 meals. Let’s do this!
*$5 will be donated per new Facebook like and $5 will be donated per photo submitted. One photo per participant, please. Up to $15,000 will be donated in total to food banks/pantries which support our Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts service areas. Official Rules: No purchase necessary. In order to participate you must be 18 years or older and reside in Dead River Company’s service area. Promotional dates 9/8 to 9/20/2015.